Let us see the following tools that are a must to acquire in terms of cybersecurity. So let’s see how to use the following tools?
What Are Cybersecurity Tools?
Cybersecurity tools are tools or software that are used to prevent, detect or investigate cyber attacks.
Cybersecurity tools are also known as network security tools. So these tools are used to protect data from unauthorized access.
The data can be stored in the following device, cloud, external hard drive, etc.
Why use these tools? Because these tools are used by IT professionals or network administrators. They use it to analyze the security of their networks.
What Are The Main Types Of Cyber Security Tools?
There are three main types of cyber security tools, here are the following:
1. Network Security Tools
These tools are used to detect intrusions in your computer network. So these tools are mainly used by network administrators.
It is to monitor their networks for any security issues or intrusion attempts. These tools can be used also in personal computers by installing anti-virus software.
2. Penetration Tools
Penetration testing is a method to check the security of your system. So if it happens by attacking it with malicious software, malware, or attackers’ techniques any loopholes in your system security will be found.
So that you can fix them before real attackers find them and exploit them for their malicious purposes. Therefore penetration testing is an important part of information security testing.
It is one of the activities in which these penetration tools are used for this purpose.
3. Forensics Tools
Forensic analysis is a method of investigating digital evidence. So to collect data about an incident like hacking, malware infection, or any other types of cyberattacks.
Here are the following steps:
- analyzing the logs of an infected system to find out what happened and when did it happen;
- collecting all details about what happened;
- examining evidence; collecting clues;
- finding out how did the incident happen;
- discovering who was involved; etc.
To gather enough information about the attack and its originator. So that you can take legal action against him if possible or fix your system if needed.
Thus, you can prevent any other incidents like this from happening again in the future.
Free Cybersecurity Tools
1. Download the Open Source Web Application Security Project (OWASP) Guide to Secure Web Application Software Testing.
2. Run a security audit against your web application using the WebScarab open source web application security testing tool.
3. Download the free version of Nmap, an open-source security scanner, for port scanning and service detection.
4. Download Wireshark, an open-source network packet analyzer. Use Wireshark to monitor, capture, and interactively browse the contents of network traffic.
5. Download the free version of Nessus, an open-source vulnerability scanner that can be used to find known software flaws in your systems.
6. Download the free version of SQLMap, an open-source database vulnerability scanner that can be used to find SQL injection vulnerabilities in your database-driven web applications.
7. Download Tripwire IP360, a free IP address management tool that provides IP address discovery and mapping capabilities for IP address ranges in your network environment.